No matter the temp outside (we live in the frozen tundra) we LOVE us some chili! Anything to warm your soul that tastes amazing gets into the meal rotation at our house. There are many versions of this one so you can add in or take things out as you like.
Inspired by the 21 Day Fix EXTREME nutrition plan (page 50), but we have made this for a bit now with our own tweaks
Ingredients (makes 6 servings – 1 cup each):
- 1 tsp. olive oil (we use coconut oil to cook our meat)
- 1 ½ lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped (we use onion powder)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (we use garlic powder)
- 1 ½ ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste; optional – we left out)
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans (or pinto beans), drained rinsed (we used 1 can of black and 1 can of red kidney)
- 1 (15-oz) can all-natural diced tomatoes, no sugar added
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs, finely chipped (for garnish; optional – we left out)
- 1 bag frozen corn (our addition)
You can also add garbanzo beans and use ground chicken, chicken breast/turkey in place of ground turkey.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally. for 5 to 8 minutes, or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly; for 1 minute.
- Add beans, corn and tomatoes (with liquid). Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; gently boil; stirring occasionally; for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with cilantro.
* Breakdown for 21 Day Fix nutrition plan is ½ green, 1 red and ½ yellow. *