These actually were made randomly after having pumpkin left over from our bars (see recipe here: http://www.balancedforlifecoach.com/pumpkin-bars/). I figured instead of it going bad because I would most likely forget it was in the fridge I might as well make another goodie with it. Sure enough….they were YUMMY and again approved by my picky son. WIN in Moms book!
Recipe inspired by: http://cleanfoodcrush.com/pumpkin-energy-balls/
- 3 cups dry, uncooked oatmeal (I used gluten-free quick oats)
- 1 cup all-natural pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 Tbsp ground flax seeds (if ‘dough’ seems too wet, add more ground flax, if it’s too dry, add less…start with a smaller quantity)
- 1 cup small chopped walnuts, chopped almonds, chopped peanuts, coconut flakes, or any combination of mix-ins that equal 1 cup total (I omitted this part)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (could also use dark chocolate/cacao pieces, raisins, etc or just leave this part out)
Just a quick pic since more than half were grabbed and devoured almost immediately! :)
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium bowl until very thoroughly mixed.
- Roll into balls of about 1″ in diameter (you can use any size you like).
- Place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper & freeze one hour.
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Just a heads up that I used a little bit of almond milk to moisten them up a bit as I was mixing. I did not measure, just poured a few splashes in. These are great for a quick snack, treat for the kicks or after workout fuel (again through in what you like). ENJOY! :)