Now this recipe is my husband’s favorite meal! He lived in Hawaii for 7 years so it brings him back to memories from the island. We like to pretend we are on a beach somewhere while eating this – especially in the winter time.
Inspired by: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/07/pineapple-shrimp-fried-rice.html
- 1 1/2 cups (uncooked) brown rice (or quinoa)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.25 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined, (1lb after peeled) – we also use chicken
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 5 large scallions, chopped (we leave these out)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper or jalepeno, chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce (or more to taste) – we use Bragg’s Liquid Amino Acid
- cilantro for garnish
Cook brown rice (or quinoa) according to package directions and set aside to cool. Cut a pineapple in half and hollow out both halves to make two bowls. Cut a piece off the bottom of the pineapple halves to create a flat base. Cut the pineapple into small pieces and set aside. Heat a nonstick wok on high heat; when hot add oil. Add shrimp (or chicken) and cook a few minutes until almost cooked though. Set shrimp (or chicken) aside. Add the scallions, chili and garlic to the wok. Saute about a minute, then add the rice and pineapple and stir a few times. Add soy sauce, stir to mix all the ingredients and cook another 30 seconds. Place in hollowed out pineapple cut in half lengthwise. Garnish with cilantro.