This is one of the easiest meals to make and everyone in my family loves it! So simple and fast to make and it can last a few meals. Great recipe to stretch out your meals and save some money!
(Total Time: 45 minutes, 6 hearty servings)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb of your choice of meat (chicken, ground turkey, ground beef, vegan crumbles, tempeh, etc)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 small red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsps chili powder
- 4-6 dashes hot sauce
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- 1 16 oz container of salsa (fresh in produce section)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
1. Prepare Quinoa: Rinse in a sieve under running water. Boil 1.5 cups of water in a small saucepan, add the quinoa. Turn down the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. While quinoa is simmering, heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic, peppers, and chopped onions, cook 2 or 3 minutes.
3. Add chicken, spices and hot sauce. You may want to add a little salt and pepper here also. Cook thoroughly, about 10 – 15 minutes.
4. Spread quinoa in a large baking dish.
5. Layer remaining ingredients in this order: Chicken, salsa, black beans and finally the grated cheese.
6. Bake at 450°F for 20 minutes.