From as young as I can remember the smell from my Babcia’s (Grandmother in Polish) kitchen was one of my best memories. She made pretty much everything from scratch (for most big family dinners) and I always “had” to have more than one helping of anything she did make!
My favorite meal that she would make regularly or when I was sick was chicken noodle soup. That smell of it cooking for hours in her home is one thing I will never forget. She of course put her own special touch and love into it, but since she passed away I have never really found one that hits home like her version.
Well….I think I have found ONE that is really close – at least in my heart – it reminds me of the closest option I can find
(Inspired by http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/10/best-crockpot-chicken-noodle-soup.html)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (we used onion powder)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (we used garlic powder)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (we used coconut oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf (we left out)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper)
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles (we used quinoa noodles)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. In a 6 quart crockpot place whole chicken breasts on the bottom and top with , carrots, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf.
2. Next add in chicken broth, water, and season with salt and pepper to taste. I used 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours.
3. Remove cooked chicken breasts and cut into bite sized pieces. Place chicken back in to the crockpot. Now add in noodles and parsley.
Cover and cook just until noodles are tender, 5-10 minutes.
I am HAPPY that not only do I LOVE this recipe, but my husband and son do as well. They never got to experience her cooking, but through stories and taste I can share some of my favorite memories of her!!